View Our Practice Areas

Which parent can claim the children on taxes after a divorce?

The simple answer to this question is that the Utah parent who is awarded primary physical custody, referred to as the custodial parent, has the right to claim the children on his or her tax returns. However, an exception to this rule allows the non-custodial parent to claim one or more of the children on his or her tax returns after the divorce. Certain requirements must be met in order for this to occur.

First, the parties must be divorced by Dec. 31 or living apart for the latter half of the year. The child must be in the custody of one or both parents for at least six months of the year. In addition, more than half of the child's financial support must come from one or both parents.

If these qualifications are met, then the custodial parent will need to fill out IRS Form 8332, which the non-custodial parent will need to make sure is attached to that year's tax return. Of course, this also means that the custodial parent will be unable to claim that child or children since, only one parent can claim the exemption. For 2016, the dependency exemption deduction is $4,050. When that is added to the $1,000 child tax credit, it could be helpful to the a parent. Other tax benefits are available to both parents, but there are some tax breaks that are only available to the custodial parent.

When Utah parents are negotiating their divorce settlement, this is an issue that needs to be addressed. Regardless of the agreement the parties make, it will need to be explicitly outlined in the settlement in order to avoid any confusion. Furthermore, having it in the agreement allows the non-custodial parent to enforce the provision if necessary.

Source: MarketWatch, "After the divorce: Which parent gets child-related tax breaks?", Bill Bischoff, May 13, 2016

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


  • I can’t speak highly enough of Kris and his team. I was always kept informed and educated on my options and potential outcomes. Kris was so professional and helped me feel at ease through a very difficult and emotional process. His expertise is second to none and you truly feel as though you’re in the best hands. Thanks for everything Kris, I consider you a great friend!Read more...

    — Tyler H.
  • Rand Lunceford was my attorney and he did a great job for me. Was always very quick to return phone calls and texts. Gave me court reminders the day before. And did a great job. when it was all said and done I was extremely impressed with Mr. Lunceford and their firm. Read more...

    — Brittany U.
  • Brian attended mediation with us today and he was a rockstar. He was very knowledgeable and thorough. I don't know what we would have done without his well-informed counsel and the way he stood up for us. He maintained a calm and authoritative demeanor, even in the presence of the 4 other attorneys on the other "sides". We will be recommending him to anyone who needs a family law attorney, and we'll be choosing him if we ever need one again! Read more...

    — Tawny A.

Speak with an experienced lawyer.

If you need help with a divorce, family law issue, DUI or criminal defense, complex civil litigation, or real estate matter, we are here for you. To schedule an appointment with one of our dedicated attorneys call us at (801) 475-8800.

Email Us For A Response

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Locations

Ogden Office
195 25th Street
Suite 304
Ogden, UT 84401

Phone: 801-475-8800
Fax: 801-475-9800
Map to Ogden Office

Park City Office
136 Heber Avenue
Suite 205
Park City, UT 84060

Phone: 435-655-3680
Map to Park City Office

Lehi Office
3450 N. Triumph Blvd.
Suite 102-161
Lehi, UT 84043

Phone: 801-753-5650
Map to Lehi Office

Salt Lake City Office
299 South Main
Suite 1300
Salt Lake City, UT 84111

Phone: 801-317-8968
Phone: 801-534-4410
Map to Salt Lake City Office