View Our Practice Areas

Life changes, so modifying your divorce decree might be necessary

Going through a divorce can understandably be one of the most difficult experiences you can have in life. After all, divorce is about untangling intertwined emotions just as much as it is about untangling finances. Both processes can be immensely painful to navigate.

For this reason, you may naturally breathe a sigh of relief after finalizing your divorce in Utah. However, circumstances can quickly change following the dissolution of your marriage, in which case modifying your divorce decree may be necessary.

Why a modification?

Following your divorce, you may find that your current divorce judgment is no longer appropriate in light of your reality at present. For instance, maybe you or your spouse is seeking to relocate to be closer to family or for a new job.

Another reason a divorce decree modification might be necessary is if you have experienced a change in your income, or your ex-spouse and co-parent has had a change in income. For example, perhaps you have been paying $1,000 a month in spousal and child support but your company experienced layoffs and now you can't afford the payments. In this case, you can seek to modify your support obligations temporarily.

Yet another situation that might warrant a divorce order modification is if your child's needs have changed with regard to matters such as health care or education. If police arrested the other parent for a crime such as drug possession, you may want to petition the court to modify your custody arrangement accordingly.

Modification process

With a motion to modify your divorce judgment, you are essentially asking the court to alter aspects of your judgment, such as alimony, child support, child custody arrangements or visitation schedules. This generally involves filing a modification motion with the same court in which you initially filed your divorce and finalized it.

How is a modification different from an appeal?

Unlike a motion to modify, the appeal of a divorce court's judgment to a higher court involves actually challenging the judge's decision if you disagree with it. However, you typically can't appeal from a settlement agreement if you and your ex-spouse agreed to its terms. Whether you are seeking to modify a divorce judgment or appeal a court decision, you have the right to pursue the most favorable outcome possible given the circumstances surrounding your case.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


  • I can’t speak highly enough of Kris and his team. I was always kept informed and educated on my options and potential outcomes. Kris was so professional and helped me feel at ease through a very difficult and emotional process. His expertise is second to none and you truly feel as though you’re in the best hands. Thanks for everything Kris, I consider you a great friend!Read more...

    — Tyler H.
  • Rand Lunceford was my attorney and he did a great job for me. Was always very quick to return phone calls and texts. Gave me court reminders the day before. And did a great job. when it was all said and done I was extremely impressed with Mr. Lunceford and their firm. Read more...

    — Brittany U.
  • Brian attended mediation with us today and he was a rockstar. He was very knowledgeable and thorough. I don't know what we would have done without his well-informed counsel and the way he stood up for us. He maintained a calm and authoritative demeanor, even in the presence of the 4 other attorneys on the other "sides". We will be recommending him to anyone who needs a family law attorney, and we'll be choosing him if we ever need one again! Read more...

    — Tawny A.

Speak with an experienced lawyer.

If you need help with a divorce, family law issue, DUI or criminal defense, complex civil litigation, or real estate matter, we are here for you. To schedule an appointment with one of our dedicated attorneys call us at (801) 475-8800.

Email Us For A Response

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Locations

Ogden Office
195 25th Street
Suite 304
Ogden, UT 84401

Phone: 801-475-8800
Fax: 801-475-9800
Map to Ogden Office

Park City Office
136 Heber Avenue
Suite 205
Park City, UT 84060

Phone: 435-655-3680
Map to Park City Office

Lehi Office
3450 N. Triumph Blvd.
Suite 102-161
Lehi, UT 84043

Phone: 801-753-5650
Map to Lehi Office

Salt Lake City Office
299 South Main
Suite 1300
Salt Lake City, UT 84111

Phone: 801-317-8968
Phone: 801-534-4410
Map to Salt Lake City Office