View Our Practice Areas

It is possible to adjust the terms of an alimony order?

Ending a marriage can do a real number on your finances. In some cases, one spouse may require alimony to help keep him or her on stable financial ground. Maintenance in Utah is usually only a temporary thing, and any initial orders granted are pretty firm. However, under particular circumstances, it may be possible to adjust the terms.

The purpose of alimony, generally, is not to provide financial support forever. It is often only awarded for a few years to help the receiving spouse until he or she can support him or herself.

Setting an amount

Many people worry about how much alimony they may have to pay or what they may receive after the divorce. The amount given depends on several factors, including:

  • The incomes of both parties
  • The education levels of both parties
  • The actual need of the requesting spouse
  • The marital standard of living

The awarding of alimony does not occur in all divorce cases.

Adjustment of terms

A spousal support order, if awarded, is based on information known at the time of its creation. The courts may adjust it if any unforeseen changes in circumstances arise. Some common reasons to modify an alimony order include:

  • Cost of living increase
  • Escalator clause included in the order
  • Disability
  • Decrease in need
  • Increase in payee salary
  • Financial emergency

Utah has strict rules regarding the adjustment of alimony. The courts will not grant every modification request. There has to be a good reason for it.

Who can request the adjustment?

Either party can request a support modification. The payer may wish to have the order canceled or his or her obligation reduced. The payee may want to seek more support or increase the duration of the support order. No matter who requests the adjustment, the court will not even consider the petition if the individual who filed it lacks the evidence needed to prove it is warranted.

Help available when wanting an alimony change

In some cases, both parties may agree to temporary alimony changes in private. In cases where permanent modifications are the goal, if a new agreement cannot be reached outside of court, each party will have the opportunity to present his or her side of the case before a judge who will then have the final say in the matter. Thankfully, you can seek assistance addressing the issue whether you do so privately or in court.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


  • I can’t speak highly enough of Kris and his team. I was always kept informed and educated on my options and potential outcomes. Kris was so professional and helped me feel at ease through a very difficult and emotional process. His expertise is second to none and you truly feel as though you’re in the best hands. Thanks for everything Kris, I consider you a great friend!Read more...

    — Tyler H.
  • Rand Lunceford was my attorney and he did a great job for me. Was always very quick to return phone calls and texts. Gave me court reminders the day before. And did a great job. when it was all said and done I was extremely impressed with Mr. Lunceford and their firm. Read more...

    — Brittany U.
  • Brian attended mediation with us today and he was a rockstar. He was very knowledgeable and thorough. I don't know what we would have done without his well-informed counsel and the way he stood up for us. He maintained a calm and authoritative demeanor, even in the presence of the 4 other attorneys on the other "sides". We will be recommending him to anyone who needs a family law attorney, and we'll be choosing him if we ever need one again! Read more...

    — Tawny A.

Speak with an experienced lawyer.

If you need help with a divorce, family law issue, DUI or criminal defense, complex civil litigation, or real estate matter, we are here for you. To schedule an appointment with one of our dedicated attorneys call us at (801) 475-8800.

Email Us For A Response

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Locations

Ogden Office
195 25th Street
Suite 304
Ogden, UT 84401

Phone: 801-475-8800
Fax: 801-475-9800
Map to Ogden Office

Park City Office
136 Heber Avenue
Suite 205
Park City, UT 84060

Phone: 435-655-3680
Map to Park City Office

Lehi Office
3450 N. Triumph Blvd.
Suite 102-161
Lehi, UT 84043

Phone: 801-753-5650
Map to Lehi Office

Salt Lake City Office
299 South Main
Suite 1300
Salt Lake City, UT 84111

Phone: 801-317-8968
Phone: 801-534-4410
Map to Salt Lake City Office