View Our Practice Areas

Do you need to modify your divorce decree?

The idea of getting a divorce is something that many people in Utah and across the country consider to be complicated. You may have known that ending your marriage was the best step to take due to the relationship issues and other unresolved matters that dragged your marriage down. You may have dreaded having to go through the legal process involved, but you gritted your teeth and did what was necessary.

When your divorce came to an end, you may have felt a sense of relief. Having those legal proceedings completed may have lifted a burden from your shoulders. However, as time has gone on, you may have realized that the terms of your divorce decree are not holding up as well as you thought.

What can you do?

Many people think that the final divorce decree is something they have to live with. Fortunately, that is not necessarily the case. If you have come to find that the details of the decree do not suit your living circumstances, you may want to consider a modification. Of course, it is important to remember that obtaining a modification is not easy and that the court will not approve a change simply because you request it.

What can you change?

You may also want to think about the specific matters that you want to readdress and potentially modify. Just because you felt you got the short end of the stick overall in your divorce does not mean that you can request an entirely new decree with changes to every area of the order (unless you move forward with an appeal, which is a different matter). You can request changes to a specific area, such as alimony, child support, child custody or property division.

How can you increase your chances of approval?

As mentioned, the court will not approve your request without a valid reason. As a result, if you want to make a change to the divorce decree, you will need to show that a change in your circumstances or your ex-spouse's circumstances warrants the change. For example, if you lose your job, you may need an increase in child support to continue providing for your children. If your spouse benefits from an increase in income, you may have reason to request additional support as well.

Needing to modify a divorce decree can happen for many reasons. If you believe that it would benefit you or your children to have certain details of the decree changed, you may want to discuss this possibility with an attorney. Your legal counsel can help you assess your circumstances to determine whether a change may be necessary.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


  • I can’t speak highly enough of Kris and his team. I was always kept informed and educated on my options and potential outcomes. Kris was so professional and helped me feel at ease through a very difficult and emotional process. His expertise is second to none and you truly feel as though you’re in the best hands. Thanks for everything Kris, I consider you a great friend!Read more...

    — Tyler H.
  • Rand Lunceford was my attorney and he did a great job for me. Was always very quick to return phone calls and texts. Gave me court reminders the day before. And did a great job. when it was all said and done I was extremely impressed with Mr. Lunceford and their firm. Read more...

    — Brittany U.
  • Brian attended mediation with us today and he was a rockstar. He was very knowledgeable and thorough. I don't know what we would have done without his well-informed counsel and the way he stood up for us. He maintained a calm and authoritative demeanor, even in the presence of the 4 other attorneys on the other "sides". We will be recommending him to anyone who needs a family law attorney, and we'll be choosing him if we ever need one again! Read more...

    — Tawny A.

Speak with an experienced lawyer.

If you need help with a divorce, family law issue, DUI or criminal defense, complex civil litigation, or real estate matter, we are here for you. To schedule an appointment with one of our dedicated attorneys call us at (801) 475-8800.

Email Us For A Response

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Locations

Ogden Office
195 25th Street
Suite 304
Ogden, UT 84401

Phone: 801-475-8800
Fax: 801-475-9800
Map to Ogden Office

Park City Office
136 Heber Avenue
Suite 205
Park City, UT 84060

Phone: 435-655-3680
Map to Park City Office

Lehi Office
3450 N. Triumph Blvd.
Suite 102-161
Lehi, UT 84043

Phone: 801-753-5650
Map to Lehi Office

Salt Lake City Office
299 South Main
Suite 1300
Salt Lake City, UT 84111

Phone: 801-317-8968
Phone: 801-534-4410
Map to Salt Lake City Office