Kristopher K. Greenwood & Associates
Salt Lake City – Ogden
Kristopher K. Greenwood & Associates

Salt Lake City – Ogden

We Fight To Win

Experienced Divorce and Family Law Attorneys Serving All of Utah

Types of child custody in Utah

When parents decide that their best option is to separate, it can be tremendously difficult for everyone, especially their children. Determining child custody in Utah is often a contentious issue, with emotions running high and parents unable to agree.

In Utah, there are several different custody arrangements that are available.

  • Legal and physical custody: There are two parts to custody in Utah, legal and physical. Legal custody is who will have the right to make important decisions about the children, while physical custody is where the children will live.
  • Sole legal and sole physical custody: This is where either parent is awarded sole custody of the child. The children live with one parent, and that parent makes all important decisions. Typically, the other parent will have parent-time with the child.
  • Joint legal and joint physical custody: This arrangement is where the children live with both parents and both parents make decisions regarding the child. Joint physical custody means the child lives with each parent at least 111 nights a year.
  • Joint legal and sole physical custody: In this arrangement, the child lives with one parent at least 255 nights a year, and the other parent has regular parent-time. Both of the parents make important decisions regarding the child.
  • Split custody: This arrangement means that each parent is awarded the sole custody of at least one of the children when there are multiple children. Legal custody may or may not be shared.

A legal professional skilled in child custody issues in Utah can help parents understand what their options are when it comes to child custody. They understand that this is an important matter for both the child and their parent and will work to resolve differences and create a child custody arrangement in the child’s best interest.


FindLaw Network