Kristopher K. Greenwood & Associates
Salt Lake City – Ogden
Kristopher K. Greenwood & Associates

Salt Lake City – Ogden

We Fight To Win

Experienced Divorce and Family Law Attorneys Serving All of Utah

Facing a first DUI charge? What happens now is critical

On Behalf of | Nov 24, 2015 | DUI

Most Utah residents would agree that no one likes to see the flashing lights of a police cruiser in their rear view mirror. Being pulled over by police often means an expensive traffic citation and points on your license. In some cases, it can mean much more. You could be facing a first DUI charge if the officer suspects that you are driving under the influence.

A first offense for DUI is often considered a misdemeanor in Utah. If convicted, you would face a maximum of six months in jail and the suspension of your driver’s license. This is only the minimum consequences that can result from a DUI charge. Depending on the circumstances, additional criminal charges could be filed, which could potentially lead to harsher penalties.

Therefore, it is imperative that you contact an attorney as soon as possible. The time frame in which you can fight an administrative license suspension is short. Furthermore, a criminal conviction is far from automatic, and a proper defense requires careful attention to detail.

Police are required to follow certain procedures, including having probable cause to pull you over in the first place. Any field sobriety tests must be performed according to established procedures, and breath testing machines are required to be calibrated and maintained on a routine basis. If there are problems at any stage of the process leading to your arrest, the charges may be subject to a motion  to dismiss. There may also be other options that limit the impact any charges have on your life.

DUI charge can impact numerous aspects of your life. If your license is suspended, you may not be able to get to work. A conviction could jeopardize your job. Whether the charge alleges a first offense or a subsequent one, help is available by calling our office to schedule an appointment.


FindLaw Network