View Our Practice Areas

Seeking support modifications when circumstances change

Divorce will initiate various significant changes in a person's life, and these changes do not always stop simply because the process is final. The alterations in your parenting, lifestyle and finances can continue for years to come. For some in Utah, these changes can affect a person's ability to abide by the terms of a support order. 

If you are dealing with significant changes that impact your ability to make support payments or take care of your child on the amount you receive, there are options available to you. There are times when seeking a formal modification could be appropriate and reasonable. If you think this is the right step for you, you will find it beneficial to have help as you seek necessary changes.

Questions and answers about modifications

Seeking a modification to a support order involves much more than simply wanting to pay less or receive more each month. There must be evidence of substantial financial need, and you may find it beneficial to first understand the following before moving forward with requesting a change to your support order:

  • What if I cannot make full support payments? Job loss, remarriage, the birth of additional children and various other factors can impact your ability to pay and could be grounds to seek a formal modification.
  • Can I get more support each month? The diagnosis of a new medical condition, certain types of activities and other needs could be a valid reason to request an increase in the amount of child support payments.
  • Can I seek a temporary change? It may be possible to secure a temporary change in support payments if your current financial circumstances are only short-term or for an emergency situation.

As with all matters pertaining to child support, it is prudent to seek a complete evaluation of your case in order to understand the specific legal options available to you.

Your rights, your options 

Seeking a modification to an existing support order is not always easy. You are entitled to help and guidance for every step, as well as a complete explanation of the various options available to you.

Seeking an adjustment to child support has no bearing on your rights as a parent to custody and visitation. If you have concerns about your payment amounts, the other parent's response or your custody order, you would be wise to seek help as soon as possible.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


  • I can’t speak highly enough of Kris and his team. I was always kept informed and educated on my options and potential outcomes. Kris was so professional and helped me feel at ease through a very difficult and emotional process. His expertise is second to none and you truly feel as though you’re in the best hands. Thanks for everything Kris, I consider you a great friend!Read more...

    — Tyler H.
  • Rand Lunceford was my attorney and he did a great job for me. Was always very quick to return phone calls and texts. Gave me court reminders the day before. And did a great job. when it was all said and done I was extremely impressed with Mr. Lunceford and their firm. Read more...

    — Brittany U.
  • Brian attended mediation with us today and he was a rockstar. He was very knowledgeable and thorough. I don't know what we would have done without his well-informed counsel and the way he stood up for us. He maintained a calm and authoritative demeanor, even in the presence of the 4 other attorneys on the other "sides". We will be recommending him to anyone who needs a family law attorney, and we'll be choosing him if we ever need one again! Read more...

    — Tawny A.

Speak with an experienced lawyer.

If you need help with a divorce, family law issue, DUI or criminal defense, complex civil litigation, or real estate matter, we are here for you. To schedule an appointment with one of our dedicated attorneys call us at (801) 475-8800.

Email Us For A Response

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Locations

Ogden Office
195 25th Street
Suite 304
Ogden, UT 84401

Phone: 801-475-8800
Fax: 801-475-9800
Map to Ogden Office

Park City Office
136 Heber Avenue
Suite 205
Park City, UT 84060

Phone: 435-655-3680
Map to Park City Office

Lehi Office
3450 N. Triumph Blvd.
Suite 102-161
Lehi, UT 84043

Phone: 801-753-5650
Map to Lehi Office

Salt Lake City Office
299 South Main
Suite 1300
Salt Lake City, UT 84111

Phone: 801-317-8968
Phone: 801-534-4410
Map to Salt Lake City Office