Kristopher K. Greenwood & Associates
Salt Lake City – Ogden
Kristopher K. Greenwood & Associates

Salt Lake City – Ogden

We Fight To Win

Experienced Divorce and Family Law Attorneys Serving All of Utah

Right of first refusal in child custody

On Behalf of | Mar 29, 2021 | Child Custody

When parents separate, there are a lot of details that need to be worked out for the best interests of the children. One of these details is a child custody agreement. A child custody agreement involves many factors that both parents need to agree on. One part of a custody agreement can be the right of first refusal.

What is the right of first refusal?

The right of first refusal means that a parent has to offer parent-time to the other parent if the parent cannot watch the children for a certain period of time. This means that the parent would offer this time to the other parent before hiring a babysitter, using a daycare service, or having the children watched by a family member or friend.

Having a right of first refusal can be good for all parties involved, because it allows the children to spend more time with a parent, which is considered to be a better option than surrogate care.

Adding to a custody agreement

A right of first refusal clause can be added to a custody agreement, but it first needs to be agreed upon by both parents. If a custody agreement is already in place, then the parents would need to obtain a custody modification with the court in order to add this clause. A family law attorney can help with this process.

Family law attorney

A parent who would like to create a child custody agreement or modify an existing one will find that an attorney who specializes in family law can be a great ally. An attorney skilled in Utah custody law can develop an effective parenting plan for both parents. They can also assist in modifications and help if any disputes arise. They understand that the determination of child custody will have a significant and long-lasting impact on the children, and they will work hard to make sure the children’s best interests are protected. To speak to a family law attorney about creating or modifying a custody agreement, contact Kristopher K. Greenwood & Associates at (801) 475-8800.



FindLaw Network